Friday, June 14, 2013

Before and After: Baroque-style dresser:


Moving into my first dorm room, I was stuck with a furniture dilemma most students will know: My decor was more or less a “best of Ikea”. (I guess that´s what happens when you move from the cozy nest of your parental home to a town 800 km away and buy all the stuff you need in three hours because your master-plan for saving money was getting the rental for only one day).

My generic surroundings made me truly crave an unique piece, something not to be found in about 54.9% of households worldwide. (Please, my dear Billy, don`t be offended! I still love you!). 


So imagine how happy I was when I encountered this beauty at the local thrift shop!

I actually kind of liked the original gold and green checkerboard. And though it can´t be seen all that well in this picture, there were some really cute embossings and red details. But the colour scheme seemed a little opulent and dark for me. 

Beside, the paint was really strange, waxlike, staining everything it touched and showing holes in places. 

So, every time I needed a break from memorizing definitions, I would attack the centimeter thick paint with a trowel for a couple of minutes. 

Once the mutant paint was all scraped off I decided on a blue color, going for a little shabby chic to bring out the details. 


 I painted it with standard acrylic paint (Since then, I have read that you are supposed to use primer, but skipping that did not hurt the end result in this case), I scooped up blue and white paint with my brush, so it mixed in the painting process, but not too perfectly. Once the wood was dry, I touched up the prominent details with white paint and attacked the planes with sandpaper and a screwdriver to give them some character. 



So here is my unique little dresser, giving my “made by Ikea” room a lovely touch of extraordinary.

I am linking to these lovely parties:

Whipperberry Trash to Treasure Tuesdays at Kammys Korner

7 comments:

  1. wow, truly a trash to treasure!!! love the new color!
    Thanks so much for linking up to support Habitat. Good luck and hope to see you back next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love turquoise, such a summer-like color. I will surly participate again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...love it! Thanks for sharing, visiting from Miss Mustard Seed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute and you are an entertaining writer to Boot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous makeover Yana! I love the name of your blog too - must follow.
    Marie@TheInteriorFrugalista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that is awesome to hear!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Everyone single one makes me smile like this :DDDDDDDD!